The Most Popular Destination in Yogyakarta
Merapi Lava Tour is the most popular tourist destination nowadays. This can be seen with so many agencies include this destination in their tour package. In fact for many travelers who came to Yogyakarta will make Lava Tour Merapi as their priority to visit.
A Disaster Became Blessing
In 2010 the eruption of Merapi brings sorrows to many residents. It burns down the villages, kill many of villagers, and moves them to the outside zone of danger. However, now the eruption leaves opportunity to grow their tourism potential.
It draws visitor to see the impact of the disaster and also the to see the beautiful yet mighty Merapi. The visitor may see all of this with a tour name Lava Tour Merapi.
Jeep Riding at Off-Road Route
To see the amazing Merapi from near, visitor can rent a jeep with driver. Visitor can also rent a trail motorbike. However, many visitor tend to choose jeep since it contains 4 visitors. With the road condition the most suitable vehicle is a jeep.
The Distance Options
Visitor may choose some options of the route to explore. The route options are:
- Short route
- Medium route
- Long route
- Sunrise route
These short, medium, and long route refer to the distance of the route. The longer the route the longer the time of the tour. And for the sunrise route is just a short route but is held at the early morning. This is the best option if visitors want to explore Merapi and also enjoy the sunrise.
In addition after the sunrise tour visitors may continue the next tour with much time spare. For example after exploring sunrise tour visitor can visit Borobudur, Ulen Sentalu Museum, Sultan Palace, Prambanan temple, etc..
Mini Museum, Alien Stone, and Kaliadem Bunker
One of the destination to visit is Mini Museum. This museum was a house of the resident. However, the Merapi eruption burned down the entire village leaving nothing remain. Visitor may see the burnt cattle, motorbike, and car.
The ‘alien stone’ is just a big rock thrown from peak of Merapi. Before the eruption, the place was a village. But now there is nothing but flat land with the houses burried below the sand. At a particular angle the alien stone seems resembling a human face. Can you imagine the power of the blast throwing this big rock?
The next destination is the Bunker Kaliadem. This bunker is a shelter for hiding from hot clouds. However, this shelter is not built to stand the hot lava. When Merapi erupted a volunteer died since he was trapped inside the shelter.
Kalikuning Water Maneuver
Should you need to have a little fun with water splash, then you need to try to visit Kalikuning. Kalikuning is a river with the upstream is coming from Merapi. The water is very clean and fresh and never got dry even in the dry season. Hold tight the grip as the driver cut the water. You may need a spare of clothes to change.
Some Tips when Visiting Merapi Volcano:
Below are tips for visiting Lava Tour Merapi
- Lava Tour Merapi is an extreme tour so you have to be healthy and fit. Pregnant woman should not participate this tour.
- Bring a spare clothes since you may get wet.
- In the dry season the dry soil will be a serious trouble. Dusty air contains volcanic ash. Use mask to keep dust from entering your lung.
- Leave your belonging in the safe place. Leave your bag inside your car. Only bring your survival kit or cell phone. The off-road tour will shake your body and drop your belonging. Keep them close to you.
- The place is so populated with jeep during high season, then you may not recognize your rented jeep. Always keep in mind your rented jeep so you dont mistaken with other similar jeep. You can memorize the license number of the jeep or just take a picture of it.
Happy jeep riding!